Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Another Rainbow and a Giant Centipede

I couldn't help but add another rainbow picture. The mountain range in the distance is roughly 10 miles away in Mexico, and I took the picture while standing in the master bedroom.



Doesn't this creature look cute? It's too bad that the sun wasn't shining when I took this picture, because the colors were really quite vivid. It's a Giant Centipede and this one was about 7 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. They can move quickly and have a very painful bite. I've witnessed the first part of that but thankfully haven't experienced the latter. We've seen several since we've been here, but this was the first time I had a camera handy. They haven't been any kind of problem in spite of their appearance.



On the other hand, while researching the little fellow on the internet I discovered that several specialty pet shops in the U.S. carry what is known as a Vietnamese Centipede. They average over 20 inches long when full grown and eat mice.